Recent Posts

Gun nuts plan to disrupt Open Streets

by Eric Ferguson on June 19, 2013 · 8 comments

smoking gunI know gun owners hate the term “gun nuts”, but this is exactly the sort of thing that makes the term a fair description of some gun owners. Minneapolis and St. Paul have events called “Open Streets”, where the streets are closed to motorized traffic, so the streets are safe for kids games and pedestrians and bicycles and so on in a nice family-friendly atmosphere. So some of the local gun nuts have expressed an intent to show up for the purpose of showing the world that they have guns, inflicting their strange psychological needs on everyone else.

No, this isn’t concealed carry. They intend to carry openly, so everyone else gets to enjoy the presence of utter strangers able to pull out their loaded weapons whenever they take a whim. Yes I know, the people planning to do this will plead that they’re responsible gun owners, except the responsible gun owners will have left their weapons locked up at home. Showing them off at a neighborhood event as if it was a gun show or NRA rally is pretty much the opposite of “responsible”.

The Facebook page promoting Open Streets-Open Carry says gun owners will add “their own twist” to the neighborhood events by “encouraging ‘open carry’ for pro-active, positive visibility of law abiding gun owners participating in normal social activity … Like normal people!”

Funky definition of “normal”, making sure everyone knows you can shoot them if you take a notion, but you just don’t feel like it right now even though you’re wandering around a family event with your guns hanging out.

I couldn’t find the Facebook page referred to. These seem to be the pages for Open Streets Minneapolis and St. Paul. I use “seem” because anyone can set up a page, but they look genuine.

So let me see if I can explain something to the gun nuts (yes, I know, we’ve all tried that and it never seems to work, but don’t give up). Yes, your guns are legal. Cars are legal too, and I bet most adults at Open Streets own cars, but cars aren’t allowed. No one gets to go zipping down the street in their legal cars just to show they can, OK? That would defeat the point of the event. Alcohol isn’t allowed either (rather a comfort if there will be armed people wandering around) even though it’s legal. You still can’t suck on your legal whiskey bottle just to show you can. So your guns are legal, but you still shouldn’t bring them. Clear? And please, spare us the nonsense about your guns making the event safer. Open Streets hasn’t exactly been a crime magnet. You’re just making up an excuse for doing what you really want to do, piss off a bunch of urban liberals, and every one of us knows that’s what you’re trying to do.

So to all the sane people, by which I mean people who won’t be bringing guns, the way to deal with this is to give the gun nuts a wide berth. Don’t provoke them, don’t engage them, don’t give them the attention they crave. Let them be this isolated little silly group. Who knows, maybe that will make the point sink in. Or maybe they’ll feel weird and just slink away to indulge their paranoid fantasies in private. That works too.

Chunkstyle June 19, 2013 at 7:24 pm
give2attain June 19, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Eric,
I assume you would be the first to stand up for and defend a Gay pride parade. Which is people making public their personal beliefs and way of life… Often in front of many people who would likely rather not know.

Yet you call these folks nuts for doing the same. It is kind of ironic.

By the way, I am not a big supporter of either type of demonstartion…

Grace Kelly June 20, 2013 at 9:55 am

I think the message has been heard and listened to. I truly think that the organizers had no clue as to the difference of social meaning of a concealed gun and an openly carried gun. Where I grew up in rural Wisconsin and also on the urban streets of St Paul, a flashed gun is a deadly threat. It is like a dog growling before biting.

Anyway the feeling is apparently universal, here is the current posting:

***NOTE:
All apologies, but out of concern for the safety of the members of this page,
in good conscience this meet up is being canceled.
The anti-gun zealots have proven their intolerance and their propensity to violent thought and wanting harm to come to us, and based on comments made by them on this page and elsewhere it’s the only responsible thing to do.
We must continue on our mission of moving forward in a positive direction,
and that would be hampered by proceeding with this meet up.
I’m sure some of you may disagree, but let’s save our energy for things that matter.
Thanks for understanding.

give2attain June 20, 2013 at 10:27 am

So much for the Left’s support of people’s right to assemble and stand up for their rights… It is ironic that the supposedly violent aggressive gun owners had to cancel due to threats by the supposedly sweet peace loving antigun folks.

And after looking at the facebook photos of past gatherings, I don’t think the gun rights folk look too threatening…

Eric Ferguson June 20, 2013 at 12:44 pm

You might disagree with gay people having the temerity to exist, but they don’t threaten you. They just want equality under the law and to not be threatened. Carrying guns is intended to threaten. They can wear their silly buttons and no one cares, but bringing guns is a pretty explicit threat. Anyone who can’t see that in a heartbeat qualifies as a gun nut and is a good argument for some regulation beyond the joke we call our current gun laws.

give2attain June 20, 2013 at 1:07 pm

I guess I have been called worse… Though I only own one 12 ga shotgun, and I keep it out at the family farm. However I do have a lot of friends who are gun collectors, none of them are more threatening than the folks on that facebook page who are eating their picnic food and enjoying a relaxing conversation.

So any idea where this irrational fear of guns originated??? I mean a car can kill you or others just as quickly and easily, yet I assume you drive one amongst all kinds of driver’s every day… And maybe we should put away all the sharp knives also… Finally, make sure you don’t run with scissors…

Eric Ferguson June 20, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Gee, where did that irrational fear of guns come from? Oh, right, the gun owners who were responsible until the moment they shot somebody. http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/01/15/graphic-31-days-later-u-s-gun-deaths-since-newtown/

You may want to look up the meaning of the word “irrational”.

biggy johnson June 20, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Eric the facts don’t support being afraid of guns they tell us gun violence is very low in the country right now. That’s why this is an interesting issue because if you look at the facts like the DOJ report on gun violence in this county confirms that the more people who own a gun the less gun violence there is. The same logic as when we arm ourselves with a lot of nukes against the soviets. No rational person democrat or republican thinks mass shootings are good. Here is the interesting part why if gun violence is at an all time low in this country would the president want to take away or restrict our right to legally own a gun. I think it’s interesting that all of the mass shooting happen in gun free zones where the attacker knows no one will shoot back.
I do want to get to the core of this problem of mass shootings but I fell we are ignoring the real issue both for political expediency and personal motivation (personal belief that the average citizen should not own a gun). Kids they lust for fame the post there most intimate secrets on facebook, twitter, or something else. I ask myself why and the answer coming back is twofold first to get attention that they think they deserve and second to try to get people to like them.
What are we doing to combat the mass shooters want or need to kill, have we done a FBI profile on all the shooters and compared the likeness?

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: